Sunday, October 18, 2009

Warm couscous salad with stir-fried veggies


My real passion is baking, but my family has to eat sometime too. I mean eat real food, not just sugar. Since my daughter has been having stomach problems as well as a variety of food allergies, I am always on the lookout for healthy dishes that are tasty, nutritious and easy to make. I'm willing to fuss and go complicated with baking, but cooking for me needs to be straight forward and fairly quick.
I found this recipe in an Israeli cookbook I recently purchased called "The Healthy Kitchen". I 've made a few things from the book and so far it has all been delicious.
This salad can be eaten warm or room temperature- if it has been in the fridge I recommend it be warmed up before eating. It's colorful, tasty and satisfying- you can play arond with the vegetables if you don't have exactly what it calls for in the recipe- that's what I did. Here is Israel you can buy packages of instant couscous. Just add boiling water and stick it on the stove or in the microwave, and you have super yummy couscous. I don't know if it is available in the U.S.,but I imagine it can be found in either the foreign foods section of a large supermarket or in a specialty grocery store.

Couscous Salad with Stir-fried Veggies  ( 6-8 servings)

1/4 cup olive oil
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
1 coarsely chopped onion
1 eggplant cut into small cubes
2 peppers cut into small cubes
( I added a can of garbazo beans too- it really added a nice texture to the dish)
1 package of regular or whole wheat couscous (350 grams)
1/3 cup of chopped parsley

Dressing
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

1. Prepare the vegetables:  Heat a large saute pan or wok on medium heat. Add oil and sweet potato- saute 5     minutes while stirring, unitl lightly browned. Add onion, eggplant, pepper and garbanzo beans and stir fry another 5-7 minutes , until soft.
2. For the dressing: Add the oil, lemon juice  and balsamic vinegar to the vegetables. Salt and pepper- mix. Cover and cook 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave covered.
3. Prepare the couscous according to package directions without any spices,salt or pepper. Be sure to flake the couscous with a fork to separate the kernels.
4. Add the veggie mix ( including all the juices) and parsley; mix, correct the seasoning.
 Alternative cooking option:
Instead of stir frying the veggies, roast them all together in the oven. Organize the vegetables on an oven tray lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle a bit of olive oil and seasonings over and roast for 20 minutes at 400 F.


2 comments:

  1. This looks really good. I love couscous, but have never thought to add stir-fried vegetables. great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love couscous so much. This looks just awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you!