Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Chocolate Chip Bread Rolls

Chocolate Chip Bread Rolls

I recently received a small  recipe booklet from a local yeast company. I must say, most of the recipes look really good and it was just a matter of which one to start with. Bread is one of my favorite foods and I'm a chocolate freak so the combination of the two of them together sounded like a winner. Hard to decide if they are a roll or a glorified muffin, but whatever, they're darn good!
Easy to make, delicious ( and addicting!) to eat; I highly recommend giving them a try.

Chocolate Chip Bread Rolls
makes 20 rolls
Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups self- raising flour ( 500 g.) ( I didn't have any so I made my own)
8 grams active dry yeast
50 grams butter
1 cup milk ( 250 ml)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup brown sugar ( 50 g.)
1/2 package chocolate chips ( 150 g.)
How to:
Place all ingredients except the milk and butter in the bowl of a standing mixer. Mix together thoroughly using the kneading hook, and slowly add in the milk. Add butter and knead for 4 minutes on high speed until the dough is soft and flexible.
On slow speed, add the chocolate chips  until blended in thoroughly. Form a  large ball of dough and place in a bowl. ( I just used the same one.) Sprinkle lightly with flour and cover. Let rest for 30 minutes.
Form small balls of dough ( about 50 g. each). Place on two parchment covered baking sheets. Make two diagonal slices on top of each ball with a sharp knife or blade. Cover and let rise for 40 minutes.
Brush with a beaten egg and bake 15 - 20 minutes in  a 200C ( 190 F) preheated oven.

2 comments:

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you!