Sunday, December 23, 2012

Baked Sunday Mornings-Holiday Spice Cake with Eggnog Buttercream



  
Okay, so I've never tasted eggnog before.( Is she serious, you say?!) Yup, it's true! Guilty as charged- no excuses other than I was just never presented with the opportunity. Without having tasted eggnog, I had no idea what the butter cream was supposed to taste like. Let me tell you, it soooooo doesn't matter , because whatever the taste is supposed to be, this frosting is delicious.

Found this serving plate and couldn't resist!
 I knew in advance that I would make cupcakes since I had no use for a whole cake and this way I could freeze them for future use or hand them out to friends and family. I love those warm, winter type spices of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger etc. The combination is soothing and comforting, while not being overly sweet.

Then my daughters found these to match and bought me a gift! It's true... cake does complete me!

I must say, I had my doubts about the frosting as I was making it. It didn't seem to come together , but I persisted and eventually it developed in to the creamiest, smoothest butter cream I have ever tasted. This is one recipe I will use again and adapt it to all different flavors. Sweet, but not sickeningly sweet, and since the sugar is cooked, there is no gritty taste.

No question I will use this for a cake at the right opportunity. You can find the recipe here. Enjoy and stay warm!

9 comments:

  1. Your cupcakes look so pretty! It's true, that frosting is something special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, this cake and frosting are sooooo good especially for Winter and the Holidays. My fridge has good creamy eggnog continually from before Halloween to almost Valentine's Day, so stop by and we can relax and have a drink...just wishing. Today's frosting is inviting and so beautiful on your cupcakes. And I love your plates. Beautiful photos. Hope you are also enjoying holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Baked buttercream really is amazing stuff, isn't it? This cake really is comfort is baked form! *Love* your cute plates, beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely cupcakes! Really digging your gold sprinkles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cupcakes!! It really is a good recipe. I was really pleased with how light the cake was and how yummy the buttercream was.
    And I love, love, love your platter and plates! Beyond adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cupcakes look great and I love the cupcake plates! This was a fun recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cupcakes look perfect & I love your cake plates! Trust me, the frosting is better than eggnog - LOL! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what a great idea to freeze some of the cupcakes! I could have eaten the entire cake myself. I'm a huge fan of the Baked buttercream!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you!