Wednesday, July 22, 2009

All Done!

Our group
That's it! I finished the pastry chef course ( I even passed the test I was dreading!) and what an ending it was. We spent the last two lessons preparing for the "finale" - an evening with our invited guests tasting our goods.
The evening was a true success - food, atmosphere and a major cooperative work effort on the part of all the class participants. We worked sooooo hard- I am now convinced that working in a pastry shop, being on your feet for amazingly long hours, is not for me. When I finally got home after midnight, I could barely walk and I was out of commission for most of the following day! I'll stick with the small time home-based business for now.
The evening began with roaming waiters ( us!) serving small cups of cold basil zucchini soup with cheese sticks. It was a very hot night and the event was outdoors so the cold soup was a welcome. A buffet table was then manned by more waiters (us again!) serving salads, a variety of breads, quiches and savory bites ( all prepared by us , of course!)

pissaladiere (puff pastry with carmelized onions, anchovies and black olives

Then came the "piece de resistance"- dessert. What a selection there was. Chocolate-nougat mousse, toffee- nut tarts, chocolate-pear tarts, dulche de leche mousse, cheesecake mousse with a cinnamon crumble ( yum!) coffee-pecan cookies, basil-almond lemon cookies ( very interesting), vanilla creme cookies, vanilla-chocolate- coffee cookies, citrus cake, chocolate-poppy seed cake, white chocolate penacotta with passion fruit and a streusel topping, meringue cups with a lemon-mint ganache filling...... should I go on?!

mini chocolate fondant cake and in the background,toffee-nut tart



Krantz Cakes- (plaited yeast cakes with a chocolate/halva filling)
I managed to get a only few pictures in between the serving and preparing and washing up. Feast your eyes!



basil-almond lemon cookies
All in all, it was a wonderful learning experience and I made some great friends along the way! Onward to the advanced course!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Yael-
    Congratulations on completing your course! Im an olah chadasha at BIU and Im an avid baker also- I was wondering what and where the course was that you took?
    Is it a kosher program?
    Thanks- you can email me at chavi.samet@gmail.com or comment on my blog at www.fortheloveofbread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. so where are all the recipes? Share!!!

    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! by the way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog ~ oh how yummy!

    Congrats on your great accomplishment ~ how much weight did you gain in the process? :)

    Jo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you!