Saturday, October 31, 2009

Chocolate Hazelnut Sandwich Cookies



I have a "to do" list - meaning things I want to cook or bake- a mile long and in a million different places. I decided it was time to get myself organized and try to tackle the mission. First, I went through all the recipes I 've saved from the web. Deleted what may have looked interesting at the moment but on second thought , didn't really appeal to me. Then I organized what was left, into categories (this organization is too much for me!). Okay, one area taken care of. Next, I went to the notebook I keep with all the printed out recipes I have collected overtime- from friends, magazines, newspapers and the web.Threw out what again, sounded fantastic when I took them, but on reconsideration, realized it was something I either wouldn't probably like, was too complicated or had ingredients I couldn't get here in Israel. That was a nice sized pile in itself. I get carried away sometimes!

So now, I have a still long "to do" list, but it seems a bit more approachable. Now comes the committment part. I am making a pact with myself ( can you do that?) that I will tackle at least one recipe a week from the "to do" list. Hopefully post about it too- now that's another story alltogether.

This recipe has been on my "to do" list for ages. No particular reason I'm starting my quest to go through the list with this one, just had a chocolate thing at the moment and these looked irresistable.
I found it in Hebrew on a local food site. The picture of the cookies was so enticing, not to mention the sound of the ingredients. What could be bad about chocolate and hazelnut?
I made the cookies as per the recipe but I think next time I would make some changes, even though the end result was absolutely amazing. All who tasted said they were heavenly.
My main problem was that the dough was very soft to work with, even after being in the refrigerator all night long. I found I had to re-refrigerate it afer each rolling because it just got too soft to work with. I definitely suggest trying these cookies - I will write my suggestions for changes in parentheses. If anyone out there comes up with other alterations, feel free to comment.

Chocolate Hazelnut Sandwich Cookies (original recipe said it makes 30 cookies- I got about half that !)

80 grams butter, cut into small cubes , slightly softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup  (55 grams) sugar ( it called for fine sugar- I used regular cause that's all I had- might try powdered sugar next time)
1 egg
1/2 cup (50 grams) hazelnuts, ground fine ( I grind them in a small coffee/spice grinder and add a small amount of flour to prevent it from turning into a paste)
3/4 cup (110 grams) flour (I think I would add a bit more next time,maybe it will make the dough a little less soft)
1/4cup (25 grams) cocoa powder

Filling:
100 grams bittersweet chocolate,melted
50 grams butter
1/2 cup (110 grams) Nutella

1. Cream butter and sugar in a mixer with paddle attachment until creamy.
2. Add egg and vanilla and mix until uniform.
3. Add the ground hazelnuts and mix.
4. Sift flour and cocoa powder together.
5.Mix into the wet mixture slowly until combined.
6.Wrap in plastic wrap  or baggie and refrigerate at least 1-2 hours ( maybe even in the freezer to harden it more- will also try that next time)
7. Preheat oven to 180 C ( 350 F). Roll out dough between two sheets of parchment paper (not too thin) and cut into circles using a round, fluted cookie cutter(doesn't have to be fluted, just plain round is fine- looks pretty though!) ( I happened to have a set with one solid and a matching one with a center hole)
8. Bake on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper or silicone mats for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven, cool on baking sheet for five minutes then remove to further cool on a cooling rack.
9. For the filling: Melt chocolate over a bain marie.Turn off heat and add the butter and nutella. Stir to form a thick, shiny cream.
10. Spread a generous amount of cream on the flat side of one cookie with an offset spatula and top with another. (The original recipe says to put the cream in a pastry bag and pipe it on with a star tip. I didn't bother since there weren't enough cookies in my opinion to take the time to do that.) Press slightly to adhere . You can sift a small amount of cocoa powder on top if you like. I didn't.
Can be stored in a tightly closed box up to three days.The cookies can also be frozen without the cream for 2-3 months.

10 comments:

  1. I love blogs with recipes!!!
    Yours is great.
    You got another fllower:)
    Thanks for passing by my blog.
    Please come back soon!!!
    Hope you're having a fun wekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny about the recipe collection that you have. I always tear pages out of magazine and print things off the internet and end up with a million different things I want to try!
    Glad to hear you went through it all and found the things you really want to try.
    These look delicious and pretty.
    Good luck on your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job organizing your recipes! Sounds like it was a big job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have a "to make" list about 5 miles long!!!
    Thanks for your visit to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMM these look yummy Yael!! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such nice comments! It's people like you who keep me motivated and encouraged. So thank you!! I will def be back to visit :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those cookies look incredible. I love Nutella!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. these look amazing! and I love nutella!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I am inspired to sort through my own baking to do list! AND I have to add this recipe! I love chocolate and hazelnuts! Im not really sure what to suggest about the soft dough.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you!