Saturday, November 21, 2009

Cake Slice


It's Cake Slice time again. This month we made a Burnt Sugar cake from the book Southern Cakes by Nancie McDermott. I really didn't know what to expect since I have never heard of a cake like this before and couldn't imagine how burnt sugar might be in a cake and frosting.
As it turns out, the burnt sugar was no problem to make and the cake itself turned out fine. My problems came with the frosting. It called for a cream cheese frosting with the burnt sugar added.  I followed the recipe exactly, but the frosting came out so runny, I had to keep adding powdered sugar. I finally decided to put it in the fridge to try and solidify it a bit. Worked to some extent but not how I would have like it.
I brought it to school for a colleague's birthday, and though moany commented that it was super sweet, they seemed to enjoy it. Personally, I wouldn't repeat this one. Too many other great cakes out there!


7 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the frotsting was very sweet but the cake itself was yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your cake. Definitely agree with you that the frosting was awfully sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from SITS. That cake looks awesome!!!
    Chandice
    www.glutenfreefrenzy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy SITs Saturday Sharefest!

    That cake looks delicious. I am a big fan of cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great blog that you have. that cake looks so good. makes me hungary. visiting from SITS>

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, was skeptical about the burnt sugar syrup. But it did turn out ok in the end. Great looking cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you about the frosting, though I thought the cake was rather nice. You're right though, there are too many other cakes out there to try!

    Great job on your cake Yael!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you!